Sunday, March 31, 2013

March Miscellany: Notebooks, Mandalas, Pencils

I hope you had a great March, and happy Easter for those of you who celebrate it.  I don't, but as I'm writing this, the sky is blue, the grass is green, and crocuses are blooming in the garden.  It's a beautiful spring day, albeit almost a bit too warm and dry for this early in the year.  Here are my favourite links from the past month:

  • Jono's post on how he organized and customized his Midori Traveller's Notebook.  While I would love to one day have a customized and multi-purpose notebook like this, right now I am focusing on using up the notebooks that I currently have in progress.  And I agree 100% with Jono's statement that, "If you organise yourself in a more effective, private, and personal way, you feel more connected with your work."  Yes.  That is so much the philosophy behind my own DIY planner - and one day I hope that my planner will expand to include a notebook and journal as well.
  • Stephanie takes us on a video tour of her art studio - which is filled with gorgeous and colourful mandalas.  Stephanie's blog, Spiritual Evolution of the Bean, was one of the first stationery blogs I started to read before I started this blog, and a major inspiration that started me drawing mandalas myself.
  • A review of the Faber-Castell Textliner and Jumbo Grip pencils at Pens etc.  This is the first time I've ever seen a wooden pencil that you could use as a highlighter, and I also absolutely love the look of these pencils.  I want some!
  • Angela shares her tips for keeping creative diary pages.  I would call this a planner rather than a diary, but I guess the line between the two can become blurry.  Whatever you call it, her pages are very fun and colourful - and I don't know why I keep hesitating to do something like this myself.
  • A review of the 0.25mm Pentel Slicci at Fine Points.  While the 0.3mm Pentel Slicci is one of my favourite all-time pens, I have not tried the 0.25mm - something that I must remedy.  And as you read this review, also be sure to check out the author's gorgeous (and tiny!) handwriting.
  • Tina is sketching sketching materials with sketching materials - confused yet?  I actually really love these sketches (in a geeky kind of way).  Here are some similar sketches of my own (and more at the end of this post) - although mine are not nearly as good as Tina's.
  • Jackie reviews the new Pilot Hi-Tec-C Maica.  Finally, the Hi-Tec-C has received an updated and snazzy looking barrel!  I've never completely fallen in love with the Hi-Tec-C, but this new barrel design just might push me over the edge.
  • Finally, last but not least, Azizah reviews the J. Herbin Pearlescent Ink Sampler Set.  These inks are gorgeous, and now I want a dip pen so that I could use them.

That's all for this month!  As always, be sure to stay tuned for new posts and reviews coming up in April.  See you then!

11 comments:

  1. Hey, Heather, thanks for the link to my blog! What a cool surprise! :-)

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Jono's post on the Midori. Have to admit a leather binding can make old grocery lists seem archivally important. There are some custom leather workers doing covers for Moleskine and other notebooks. For the right person, those covers may be worthwhile. (They're a bit pricy for me.) Jack/Ohio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree about the price, Jack. It's a bit too much for me right now, and I don't know if I'm totally into the leather idea, either. What I do love is having a highly customizable notebook that can include lots of different inserts - one for a planner, a journal, maybe even a sketchbook - kind of like a notebook version of a multi-pen, I guess.

      Delete
    2. Heather, the very little notebook customization I do is with premium rubber bands, Alliance Pale Crepe Gold. I actually had to order them, and they are, believe it or not, superior to ordinary rubber bands. There's a T. M. Lee of Singapore who's suggested a novel way of securing notebooks and memo pads with rubber bands. I think his suggestion can be found at Fountain Pen Network if my memory's okay.

      I gained respect for lowly rubber bands when I found out how they were used during industrial assembly operations, and also when I learned there's a U. S. Government specification for them.

      There are also flexible cords and clasps of all types at large hobbyists' stores that may have some use in notebook customization. Jack/Ohio

      Delete
    3. Thanks for those tips, Jack! I have so many purchased notebooks in use right now that I really want to finish more of them first before I try something like this, but one day I do want to work out some kind of customized system. I think the DIY approach is really more my style than buying an expensive notebook.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the mention, Heather!

    I need to get around to doing one of these posts and spreading the love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy compiling these posts, Jono! I love to share the posts I enjoy with others and maybe even point a bit more traffic in the direction of some of my favourite blogs. Thank you as well!

      Delete
  4. Aw thank you for the link :) I always enjoy your miscellany posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Azizah! I'm glad you enjoy them. I'm always a bit worried that maybe everyone will have already read all the posts that I'm linking to :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the mention and link Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw thank you so much for the link :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...